Sunday, January 17, 2010

Marshmallows!

Chocolate Orange Hazelnut Marshmallows, to be exact. I used fresh orange juice and chopped dark chocolate which melted into the marshmallow batter creating swirly fluffy delicious.

The recipe I was riffing off of said to wet your hands and flatten the top of the marshmallow so it would set up flat, but I really liked how weird the batter looked after I got both my hands working to scrape as much sticky fluff as I could out of the mixing bowl.

In the pans, starting to set up


The first set marshmallow brick, unmolded


You can see the swirls a little better on the bottom


... went a little crazy on the second one...


Second swirly bottom



I love how these look. Why flatten the top? Seriously.




This was a super fun project! And my whole family really likes them, more I think for the texture than the flavor. The OJ made the marshmallows kind of sour, so maybe I'll ease up next time. Also, I'll have to work on stirring less if I want more pronounced ribbons of color. Still, a success all told, particularly in light of my last attempt at homemade marshmallows which, as my dear friend Chris Krovatin can tell you, didn't turn out so great. Probably because I substituted agar for half of the gelatin. Hmm. Chris, I'm sorry I hadn't found this base recipe by the time I was prepping for your birthday! Next time for realz, awesome marshmallows.

Next post: sculpting with chocolate plastique!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Don't know if you remember but I met you at Ryan's Bday in NYC. You should accompany your posts with recipes, I would love to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! those marshmallows look absolutely amazing!!! YUM YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete